Old March 27th 05, 01:18 PM
Andrew Thomas

Tom Korth wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but a .4 second improvement in 0-60 time

over
> the 3.0 doesn't seem like much for an additional 75HP and $25,000. I

guess
> that's why neither Alpina nor BMW is marketing it here in the U.S.

If you measure the worth of a car only by its 0-60 time then sure, it's
poor value for money. But then 0-60 is a pointless measurement; where
Alpina is sold, 0-120 mph (or, better still, 60-120 mph) is far more
interesting. Ergo, from the American point of view, few will find
value in it, so it won't be sold there.

It would have been better had you compared it to the UK base price, not
the US base price. It's a =A39,000 premium over the Z4, adjusted for
spec.