Old July 9th 05, 03:39 AM
Tristan Austin

Thanks, Paul. I seem to be replacing/rebuilding the alternator in my current
car with about the same regularity now anyway.

Thanks for the forum tip. I found a lot of good links, including this one:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1989/

Looking through the various years in the spec sheet, I couldn't see the LT1
engine being available until the 92 model, but the LT5 was available in the
90. I take it these aren't sequential engine numbers? I assume the L98 is
the only option for an '88/'89 model.

What should I be aware of specifically in regard to suspension type? There's
a link from the 'Production and Performance' on the above site that
discusses some issues with the FX3 SRC suspension. Is it something to avoid
or something to look for in preference to standard suspension?

Thanks again for your help.

- Tristan '89 Wannabe

On 9/7/05 10:44 AM, in article n5Fze.55413$iU.55191@lakeread05, "Paul H."

>> Tristan Austin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking into getting a used '88 to '89 C4, but I'm only just now getting
>>> into the early stages of looking around. I'm a complete nube so I'm looking
>>> for a starting point to get some background on what I should be avoiding and
>>> what I should be expecting.

>> Manual or auto? The 88/89 have the 4+3 tranny, which IMO is a piece of
>> junk. Replaced mine with a Richmond 6 speed manual.
>>

> Both years were rugged, very durable automobiles with few chronic
> problems save for high underhood temperatures below 30 mph. That cooks
> alternators in the summer when the A/C is running. If you drive around
> town in the summer, you will replace an alternator every couple of
> years. Some people believe that cylinder head/gasket problems are fewer
> on the '89.
>
> '89 was either THM 700R4 4-speed automatic or 6-speed ZF transmission.
> 4+3 left the scene with the '88. Top gear on both the automatic and ZF
> stick was an 'overdrive' ratio. If you want a stick, the ZF is the
> better bet for long-term durability and parts support.
>
> Generally, fit and finish improved markedly between '84 and '88. Beyond
> the '88 there was steady improvement till the end of the C4 in '96.
>
> Both '88 and '89 are fast off the line up to about 45 mph with any of
> the common axle ratios. The later model LT1s pass the L98 cars at about
> 60mph and maintain a 'surplus torque' advantage right out to top speed.
> LT4 engined '96s are widely admired, combining the performance
> capabilities of the L98 and LT1.
>
> Be aware of either a standard suspension, 'soft ride' or cockpit
> adustable ride option (touring, firm or bone crushing). Visit the 'vette
> forums and look through the build-list options to get a feel for what
> was available on any particular year. You can open the center console
> compartment and see the build-list for any particular car.
>
> There's a lot of frame flex in all C4s. This affects ride and makes for
> annoying handling on irregular road surfaces. Coupes that have had the
> convertible-frame cross-brace added are improved in this regard.
> Careful roof panel fitting/adjustment also helps.
>
> Paul H. '89

- T