Old June 25th 05, 07:15 AM
L Sternn

Default Annoying Drivers - or, am I a MFFY - or are they?

Apologies if I posted this rant the other day - I think I started to,
but never actually hit <send> (IIRC)

So, anyway, there's a strip mall near me that I sometimes stop in
because it's convenient as hell and there are a few businesses that
are actually worth shopping.

The road next to it is 2 lanes each way (40 MPH), but near the
intersection (light-controlled) there is a dedicated left-turn lane
and it also expands to 3 lanes each just before the light.

There is a (parking-lot) exit just past the point where it goes from 2
lanes to 4 lanes (counting the dedicated-left lane as the 4th).

If there are no idiots exitting in front of me, it's great. It's
almost like a protected turn since most traffic doesn't jump into that
lane as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

When I'm exitting that lot, I really want to make the light which is
only a stones throw from where I usually exit it. All too often,
there is some moron in front of me who thinks they need to have all 4
lanes clear of any traffic before they exit the lot.

Twice in the past 6 months or so, I have gone around idiots like this
and exitted the lot in front of them, but only after honking and
waiting for them to miss several golden opportunities to merge into
traffic.

Both times I have questioned my sanity for trusting that the moron in
front of me wouldn't plow into me as I went around him, but I had some
sort of delusion that I was showing them how to merge into traffic.

Perhaps coincidentally, it would seem that I did teach them a lesson
as in both cases, they exitted the lot right behind me.

Both times, they also proceeded straight thru the light - I could
understand their reluctance to enter traffic if they actually had a
need to cross all the way over to the dedicated left turn lane
although they would still be idiots for choosing that particular exit
from the lot when they wanted to go west instead of north.

So, when I do that, am I a MFFY kind of guy?

Remember, I've already waited for these assholes to miss at least 3
perfect opportunities to turn.