Old May 24th 05, 10:35 AM
Shark

TeGGeR=AE wrote:
> "Shark" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently acquired a 1987 HF, which runs great and gives me around
> > 40mpg. I have a few questions about this car:

> I have a question for you: How many miles?

175k !

> > 1) When the engine is cold, the car has to make effort to startup.

> > have to press on the gas as i turn the ignition. Once its on, I

have to
> > constantly give it gas so it doesn't die out. Could this be the
> > carburettor, and is it fixable?

> Other than what John Ings has already said, are you flooring the gas

and
> releasing it before starting from cold? Your carburetor needs this to

be
> done so the choke can be closed.

Do you mean I need to floor the gas before I turn the key? I never
tried that. I usually press the gas a little bit while I'm starting,
and blip it a little bit now and then while its warming up or if it
falls below 1.5k rpms.

> > 2) If I accelerate to around 4000 rpms on 1st gear and quickly

change
> > to 2nd, I feel grinding: actually its more like a jolt. Similar

things
> > happen while going from 2nd to 3rd. Below 4000 or so, the

transition is
> > smooth. Is this a common problem or something is wrong with my

tranny?

> As JI says, probably worn synchros. Try shifting at 3K, and moving

the
> lever a bit slower, pausing briefly in neutral before moving it into

2nd.
> Does it grind now?

no, not this time.

> Your car is old. Like an old man, it needs some time and care to

operate
> correctly. You cannot zing it like a new car unless it's been

completely
> rebuilt.
>
> A tip: Use your fingertips only on the lever. If the lever won't go

into
> 2nd without light finger effort, the synchros are not as effective as

they
> could be, and need more time to operate. Forcing it will wreck them

*much*
> faster.
>

> > 3) Sometimes, when the car is on and I want to back up from

complete
> > stop, I feel the reverse gear grinding as I switch to reverse. This
> > happens once in a while, even when I take every care to ensure that

the
> > clutch is pressed all the way down. Then, if I come to neutral and

go
> > reverse again there usually is no grinding.
> >
> > 4) If I am travelling at high speed (60mph on gear 4) and try to

shift
> > to 2nd, I feel grinding.

> Ay-yi-yi. Don't do that! Get somebody to explain the operation of a

manual