Old March 10th 05, 07:05 PM
Jeff Strickland

"johnny" > wrote in message
> The dealer wrote Class 5 on the order when I bought the car. I guess it is

> class 3. I should also add that the platform will be extended to clear the
> spare tire.
> What are my concerns here? Damage to the vehicle? the hitch? compromised
> control of the vehicle?
> Thank you all for your help.

You are hanging alot of weight off the back, and the power of Leverage might
result is some significant handling issues.

Before you do anything else, you should look at the hitch itself and see
what kinds of Tongue Weights it can withstand. This information should be
clearly stamped on the hitch. The Owner's Manual is a valuable source of
information as well, assuming the hitch is a factory option and not
something that the dealer had installed for you at the local RV store or
equivelent.

The next thing you need to do is look in the Owner's Manual to see what
kinds of weight limits the vehcile can carry. If the tongue weight is less
than the capacity of the hitch, AND the load is less than the limits of the
vehicle, then the short answer is that you should be fine. The long answer
is that the leverage of the weight being hung so far from the rear axle can
result in a weight transfer off of the front axle that might be problematic.