Old July 13th 04, 04:08 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Graham" > wrote in message
ogers.com...
> Just knocked the RH power mirror off my LS2 2000
> when driving into the garage & getting distracted
> momentarily. Been going in there in various cars for 45 years
> without a mishap til now.
> Anyway, it looked like the mirror was made to
> pop off with little damage. The only damage was
> to the plastic mounting plate on the car body.
> Turns out that even though the mirror, casing & motors were sound
> & controllable, with only a scrape mark on the paint.
> the whole assembly had to be replaced at a cost of
> CDN $300.

I used a friends mailbox to knock the right mirror off of my 94 SL1. The
plastic "box" that holds the mirror has (or "had" I should say) 3 studs that
hold it to the car. Most of the box broke off leaving the 3 studs on the
car. I glued a scrap of wood on the inside of the box across the opening
where the piece with the studs broke out, glued the piece with the studs on,
and then ran 2 small screws through the piece with the studs and the scrap
of wood. Yes, it was a real live pain to hold the little nuts and washers in
side the box but it's held for a couple of years now. Please don't knock on
wood, I don't know how much of a hard knock that little scrap of wood will
take.

ron