Old July 22nd 05, 04:24 AM
Scott en Aztlán

Default A Good Day For Idiocy

At lunch I saw two redneck looking dudes in wife-beater T-shirts
standing in the median of Irvine Boulevard (a very busy street).
Nearby, in the left turn lane, were a Jeep Cherokee and a jacked-up
monster truck; the hood of the Jeep was crumpled. The monster truck
had no apparent damage.

How's that for poetic justice? SUVs are notorious for being dangerous
to other vehicles in a crash due, in part, to their higher bumper
lines - and now here's an SUV on the receiving end.

Later, while waiting at my shuttle stop this evening I witnessed the
following:

Bimbo, driving a red econobox, cell phone held up to her right ear,
pulls up to a red light - well, sort of. Craning her neck around to
the left, she came to a quick stop half way around the corner, decided
the coast was clear, and proceeded around the turn. Of course, she
pulled out directly in front of 55 MPH oncoming traffic. With traffic
bearing down on her, and the phone still firmly plastered to her right
ear, she reached across with her left hand and shifted her manual
transmission into second gear. Luckily for her there were no
pedalcyclists in the bike lane; with both hands off the wheel, her car
was driving about 75% of the way in the bike lane. At the very least
she would have run one of them off the road.