Old May 25th 05, 03:21 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> I don't think it is a bull**** waste of time for anyone who really
> wants to work on their VW. If I had not read that book then I
> wouldn't have even STARTED to try to get into working on my own VW.
> Before I read that book I used to pay a shop to adjust my valves for
> me. Like I told you the other day, I finally "committed" to buying a
> decent torque wrench with the thought of completely tearing down and
> rebuilding an engine (the one in my rail) for the first time in my
> life. How did you get started on "seriously" working on vehicles?
> Did you just pick up a Haynes or Bently manual and read it
> cover-to-cover and jump right in? Or did you take some
> classes/training on how to do it right? Or did you have someone
> around who already knew a little (or a lot) about working on vehicles
> who gave you enough confidence to get into doing that sort of thing on
> your own? For those of us who don't have someone around who already
> knows their way in and out the processes of working on a vehicle, Muir
> is a good start. In my opinion. Yeah, I know what that's worth.

i came from a family of mechanics and bodymen.....i got to "see" alot, but
didn't get to help till i knew what i was doing...what that meant was
tearing down "blown engines" and making them work again, usually with parts
from the junkpile...then we put em in the racecars and run em till they
blew....the rest i learned on my own....alot of staring and logical
troubleshooting....my first several engine rebuilds i would get the torque
and clearance specs from local mechanics and go at it....but i wasn't in
need of some pseudo manual to give me confidence, i went at it with a
positive attitude and all was well....i had several vw engines under my belt
before i ever purchased a manual....and Muir wasn't the one....all i have
ever used the manual for is torque specs....heck i bought a Bently manual
from John W and have yet to do more than flip through it briefly...but it
looks nice over there ....------>......go for it with the engine shag, you
got very little to lose really, but alot to gain.....