Old July 22nd 05, 09:31 AM
Christoph Bollig

Default 5 cyl engine running on 4 cylinders (Audi 100, '89)

Hi everyone,

My 1989 Audi 100 is not running very well and during idle id doesn't
sound too smooth. Especially at lower revs, the power is done and it's
not smooth either. It feels as if it is running only on four cylinders
(5 cyl engine) and sometimes it gets even worse as if only three are
left working. Some time ago, I pulled out HV wires during idle and it
is definitely cyl no 2 which is not working. However, the spark is
there and I exchanged the distributor cap and all HV wires with
another car. The problem is still there, so I concluded that it's not
the ignition.

The problem was there some time ago, then went away suddenly while
accelerating and came back a few weeks later. Unfortunately, it
decided to stay with me now.

I am a bit stuck now. I assume it has to do with the fuel injection,
but I don't know where to start. Is there any typical problem I can
check?

Thanks a lot for any advice,

Christoph

--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.