Old June 7th 04, 01:15 AM
Quattro

Default Coolant leak help...

Car was running fine with normal temps on gauges, and no warning lights on.
Parked the car inside the garage and started hearing dripping noise as I was
cooling down the turbo, popped the hood to see that my whole coolant reserve
tank is being emptied. There are 2 separate distinct trails of leak, about 8
inches apart on the floor, one near driver side, right under the oil filter
area, with the other leak point under the passenger side.

While there are good amounts of coolant on the floor as a result, I believe
is just the amount from the reserve tank, if that's the case, would it
explain why no changes to temp gauges or any other warning?

Planning to bring it to the closest independent Audi mechanic for a look,
shop is about 10 mins. away, if I refill the tank hoping it won't completely
emptied on the way, is it ok to still drive the car over? Assuming no
problems with the radiator and that there are still coolant inside. And do I
need some special coolant or any general type would do (for just getting to
the mechanic of course). Should I fill the tank with 100% coolant or 50/50
with water or can I even get away with just 100% water for my mini-trip down
the road?

Car has about 80,000 KM, any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
1999.5 A4 1.8T QTipS Santorin