Old December 28th 04, 10:50 AM
Joseph Oberlander

hyperion wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> About a week ago my daughter was driving our 2000 Jetta that has the
> VR6 engine (about 50k miles). The serpentine belt broke/came off. She
> saw a battery warning lamp come on but did not see the temp guage move
> past the mid range.
>
> The car was towed and the belt replaced along with the belt tighter.
> The car now idles ok but runs rough and backfires when you start to
> accelerate. This is so bad that is not driveable.
> Computers codes do not show any problems - any ideas?

Backfiring is most likely a blown or disconnected MAF
or whatever monitors the air intake ratio in your car.
Other than that, it may have munged the timing having the
engine suddenly rev like that. That would be my other
guess - it jerked enough so tht you slipped a notch
or two.

Backfiring while accelerating is sensor and/or timing
related almost every time. It runs fine at idle,
but change the air/fuel ratios and it can't react
properly. If it's bad enough, the car won't even get
compression or start due to everything moving randomly.
Jerking like that is hard on the transmission as well,
so get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Given that it's at 50K miles, replacing the timing belt
if it has one is recommended anyways.