Old July 21st 05, 12:51 PM
Jan

George wrote:
> searching the archives has turned up numerous references to the ease of
> replacing the regulator with the alternator in the car; but that's all -
> no details. Where is the regulator located and how is it accessed?
> Thanks, George

there are at least two types of Bosch internally regulated alternators.
The easier type is older, it has the brush holder unit mounted on top of
the alternator body (like they all do) with one wire terminal sticking
out from the middle. It's a largish metal plate, partially held in place
by the metal strap that holds teh alt to teh stand. When removed it will
hold the brushes and the regulator unit in one component. (if memory
serves, they are in any case attached to the steel cover piece you remove).

The harder type I haven't examined so carefully yet, but it looks like
the top cover only holds the brushes, and the regulator unit is
somewhere deeper inside the alternator. (push-on connectors inside
hooked up to the brush holder) My guess is that it's behind the end
plate, fan side. So you would need to remove fan shroud, then alternator
from the shroud, then fan from the alternator axle (36mm nut), then fan
backing plate from the alternator (two 10mm nuts), then the alternator
back cover (2 screws), to get access to it. NOT SURE! Sounds like a pain
in the backside to me.

This is what the brand new brazilian Bosch unit looked like when I
installed it yesterday.

Jan