Old September 8th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

Default just let em do it

"Harry K" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I tried to resurrect the old thread (started back on Jan 2 IIRC). I
> could still read it but no replies can be made there. Last post there
> was on Jan 6.
>
> The trial for the road rage incident where the perp killed momma by
> running over her just ended. Verdict "guilty as charged of 2nd degree
> murder".
>
> Defense claimed (as expected) that Jonathan Ellington ran over momma
> while trying to escape shots being fired at him by daddy.
>
> Prosecutor shot it down very solidly. His expert witness testified
> that no shots were audible on the 911 call tape until after Ellington
> had rammed the girls vehicle which was also audible on the tape. Best
> the defense could come up with was 'ya but, there could have been shots
> fired before that' (and Santa Clause might really exist, I suppose).

That's a disappointing outcome. I remember this case now. Timeline seemed
to go something like:
1) Whole family cornered road-rager Ellington in a ditch
2) Attempting to escape, Ellington pushes another vehicle with his vehicle
3) Daddy gets ****ed to see his daughters' car get banged up a bit, and so
he shoots at Ellington
4) Ellington, now fearful of being shot and killed, drives away quickly,
running over and killing an idiot who was attempting to stop Ellington's car
with her body

Ellington is a bad, bad man, who probably belongs in prison. It's
unfortunate that he got convicted in this case in spite of a valid defense
though. At the point where Ellington ran over the momma, Ellington was
acting just like anybody afraid of dying would have acted. The only thing
that separates everyone here from Ellington is that MOST of us wouldn't have
been stupid enough to get ourselves into a situation where it would have
been necessary to kill someone else to survive. -Dave