Old March 4th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Both headlights failing at the same time???

(Gordon McGrew) writes:
>> Hey Bob, did you fly any rockets in Rockford?

>Yes, I'm the rocket guy.
>
>> I agree with the other posters. Blue lights are crap. The phenomenon
>> of both failing at the same time is caused by:

It seems like there were a lot more cars with blue lights 3 - 4 years
ago.

>Wasn't aware of this. I guess I'll get the regular ones this time.
>
>> 1. Lamps are very uniform and do fail pretty much at the same time in
>> my experience.

>Not this close together. Especially last time, same day failure after 5
>years?

Well, alternate theory 1a.: when one burns out, the voltage to the
other is increased and, since it is the same age it can't take it.

Same day huh... My Integra lamps burned out about 4 months apart
after 9 years of service. (I would have replaced them both when the
first one burned out but the parts store only had one in stock.) Both
lamps still burning.

You might wan't to carry a spare.

>> 2. You may not notice much difference when the first one fails and
>> drive for a while before the second one fails. Then you will notice
>> both are out.

>I can tell if they are working when I pull in and out of the garage. Both
>were on when I pulled in Wednesday PM. Both were dead when I pulled out
>Thursday AM. Same pattern last fall, except IIRC they failed when I stopped
>for dinner in Rockford.
>
>> 3. You are probably aware of this but, if you touch the glass
>> (crystal really) of the lamp capsule with bare fingers, the oil will
>> drastically shorten the lamp life.

>Yup. Haven't touched them since I installed them last fall.

You didn't touch them then either, right?