Old March 2nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Both headlights failing at the same time???

(Bob Kaplow) wrote in
:

> How's this for a bizare problem:
>
> I have a 2000 Honda Civic HX with the CVT. I drive about 400 miles a
> week commuting, so it's up to 107K miles. And I always drive with my
> headlights on, day or night.
>
> Last fall, coming back from Rockford, I realized that BOTH headlights
> had failed at the same time. OK, after 5 years, they didn't owe me
> anything, but having both fail at exactly the same time was a bit of a
> coincidence. I replaced them with a pair of the (Wagner?) blue HB2
> bulbs.
>
> This morning, pulling out of the garage, I realized that both had
> failed together again. This is NOT a coincidence. They should
> definitely last more than 5 months, and shouldn't be failing together.
> Only the low beam is blowing, not the high beam, because I rarely use
> the high beam. Maybe I should use the high beam for DRL and save the
> low for night driving?

No. You will **** off a lot of people who detest that practice. We prefer
not to be dazzled by the idiotic use of high beams (and driving lights)
during the day.

> Any ideas on what could blow both bulbs at the same time, yet not
> affect anything else on the car? I can buy a case of bulbs for less
> than what it would cost if I ask a dealer to look into the problem.
> But it's a nusiance to never know when I'm going to be left in the
> dark again.

Those "blue" bulbs are notoriously poor for longevity. Try GE Nighthawks.

One thing to check for definitely is alternator overcharging. This will
also cause bulbs to blow, but you'd be seeing that in other locations than
just the headlights.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ