Old July 16th 05, 05:27 AM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote
> chibitul wrote:
> > What about the PCV valve? I found a couple or older posts inditating
> > that a bad PCV valve could drop the gas mileage by 10%. Is this
> > something a non-experienced guy like me could do?

> it probably doens't have one - it's a stick, not an automatic. check a
> shop manual to be sure.

?

According to the online parts stores Majestic and San Leandro Honda, both
the automatic and manual 97 LX's have PCV valves.

Unless you're totally non-handy, it should not be hard to replace. Buy a new
grommet for it (for a few more bucks), too.

See an illustration of where it is via
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp . It's
under "breather chamber" and goes for about $13 (not counting
shipping/handling) online. Probably around $20 at your local dealer.

When is the last time the 97 had new ignition wires? Distributor rotor? Fuel
filter?

I would do the air filter, plugs, and Chevron Techron, too.

Lastly, top off and purge of air the cooling system, per the manual's
directions. Air in the cooling system will result in certain engine control
components operating at the wrong temperature, and regulating the engine
incorrectly.