Old November 11th 04, 08:07 PM
Speedy Jim

Narley DudeŽ wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:04:54 -0500, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>

>>Narley DudeŽ wrote:
>>
>>>It has come to that time for me to replace rear wheel bearing and such
>>>while I'm at it, in which I need to bring up this question of "what"
>>>to look for:
>>>
>>>I have a 72 SB convertible. If you look at the rear wheels instead of
>>>being nice and vertically straight or slightly inwards... mine are
>>>leaning outwards. Not a "slightly"...more like a step or two beyond.
>>>(if that makes any sense)
>>>What is doing this? How do I adjust/fix it?
>>>Trailing arms messed up.... maybe?
>>>Any suggestions are welcome.
>>>

>>>Narley DudeŽ

>>Old IRS Beetles with many miles show this. If there's no
>>sign of severe accident damage, then the spring plate/torsion bars
>>have to be reset.
>>
>>On the bearings, see the how-to article in the Mech section
>>of my web site.
>>
>>Speedy Jim
>>http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> Thanks Jim.
> That was the direction I was thinking. Do you have an article that
> shows reference to rear spring plate/torsion bars. I'm getting an
> occasional "clunk clunk clunk" when making a sharp turn but goes away
> in few seconds when driving straight. I'm sure it has to do also with
> your diagnosis.
>

> Narley DudeŽ

Hmmmmmmmm The bearings don't usually "clunk, clunk",
though I wouldn't totally rule it out. And the noise
wouldn't be from the camber situation either.

It's a lot of work just to change bearings so I'd want to
be fairly certain. You might get some idea of the condition
by jacking the rear wheels off the ground (jack stands) and
running it in gear. Use a stethoscope (aka screwdriver)
to listen at the bearing housings. A bad bearing will "rumble".

Sorry, I don't have an article about setting torsion bars.
I bet someone else on here does...

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/