Old August 17th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
*

Default Odometer Error On Carfax Report

grifty > wrote in article
. com>...
> I'm buying a used car from a guy. His pics show the odometer to be at
> 9000 miles. The Carfax report says the mileage is 14, 327. Something is
> not right. This guy says that Carfax does not know his mileage but is
> estimating based on his lease agreement of 12,000 miles per year. Does
> this sound right?

There are SO MANY holes in the CarFax setup, I wouldn't waste my time
reading a CarFax report.

Accidents that are "taken care of" in cash and aren't reported to the
insurance company or the police do NOT show up on CarFax.

Damages and major repairs that occur on cars at dealerships before they are
sold the first time do NOT appear on CarFax.

Major repairs at shops other than dealers do NOT show up on CarFax.

Just plain abuse that is patched up by the selling dealer does NOT show up
on CarFax.

etc.