Old July 21st 05, 07:18 PM

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>
> >There is a new technique which allows an integral boot to be installed
> >without dissembling everything
> >but it requires a special stretching tool to do it.

> It sounds like a good idea, but it really isn't. If you can't clean the

joint
> before you put the new boot on, it is just a matter of time before it will
> fail. You need to clean the joint before putting the new boot on.
> -------------
> Alex

Of course, if the boot is compromised and there is water, salt, dirt inside,
the joint should be
cleaned and repacked. You might be able to get it clean enough using a
solvent wash without
opening the joint, but getting new grease into the inner bearings might be a
problem.

Some people actually identify and replace deteriorating boots before they go
completely to hell.

The first boot I replaced, I inadvertantly allowed the joint to
separate(even after being warned and
taking considerable care) , and needle bearings and balls went everywhere.
I finally managed to find
them all, clean everything meticulously, and packed everything back into
place. This was a real
learning experience which I do not care to repeat.