Old March 10th 05, 07:12 PM
Dave Milne

True - the factory tow bar has substantial 1/4" angle bracing and bolts onto
the frame in 6 places (two each side of the frame rails, and a bolt
underneath each side). I wouldn't even give that pathetic piece of sheet
metal the dignity of the name "cross member".

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Have you ever looked at how solid the bumper is bolted on or at what the
> bumper is bolted on to??? Only a few bolts into a cross member that
> really isn't very structural for a pull.
>
> For towing, you need the hitch bolted onto the frame or major angle
> bracing to hold the cross member and bumper to the frame tails if you
> want to have the bumper structurally sound for pulling.
>
> They correctly figure you are going to tear it off (stock bumpers with
> bumper hitches get ripped off all the time in an extraction, it seldom
> works out of mud) so figure it is safer to have a mud pit missile than a
> trailer on the highway going it's own way.
>
> My $0.02,
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> Jeff Hendron wrote:
> >
> > o|||||||o Ray > wrote:
> >
> > : "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > : ...
> > :> Anyone have a link to the 04 Jeep Brochure?
> >
> > :> My warn bumper in the rear say's for "pulling not towing" - does

anyone
> > :> know
> > :> what's up with that?
> >
> > I have a DayStar Rock Krusher rear bumper on my 03 Rubicon, and it also

has a
> > sticker on it that says the built in 2" receiver is for vehicle recovery

use
> > only and not for pulling trailers. I would also assume it is to cover

their
> > butts since vehicle recovery would potentially put a lot more pull on it

than
> > any trailer a Wrangler is rated to pull.
> >
> > : Sounds like they're trying to cover their butts...
> >
> > Jeff Hendron 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
> > MatrixOne Support Skyjacker 4" lift, JKS Disconnects
> > Agilent Technologies Fabtech Front Bumper, Rock Krusher Rear Bumper
> > Co Springs, Colorado Rock Krusher Rock Rails, Custom Swingout Tire

Carrier
> > (719) 531-4319 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's, Mickey Thompson

Classic Lock Wheels