Old July 23rd 05, 11:22 AM
alfistagj

What 156 do you talk about.
Oil burners is only applicable to the first generation 2.0JTS engines.
All others engines have "normal" oil consumption easily maintained by
checking (topping up when needed) the oil level every 4-5 tankstops.
How reguraly did you check your oil level befor the service and how much oil
did you have to top up?
Was the oil consumption increasing or did it stay constant over time?
Bearings only fail when you run with low oil levels (the level is important,
but more importantly low level results in much higher oil temperatures and
high temp oils lubricate badly.
If all was "normal", in combination with the week earlier 72000 mile service
only one thing comes to mind: They messed up your car!!
What kind of oil was in the engine befor the service and what did they put
in? (different oil may result in a exploding oil consumption!!)
How much oil did they put in?
How much oil is in there now?
So how much did you use in 1 week?
Does the engine leak oil somewhere?
Did the put the filler cap and drain plug back in correctly?

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
I've had an old style 156 for the last 3 1/2 years which has just given
up on me (a week after the 72,000 mile service, new brake discs & pads
and a new battery - typical!!). The bearings went and the garage want
£3300 for a reconditioned engine. Seeing as the car is 5 years old
with 72,000 on the clock, so only worth around £4500, it hardly seems
worth it. My head tells me to get something else (the cam belt also
went at 55,000 miles, but Alfa paid for the repair), but my heart says
otherwise - for the price there isn't anything else that appeals to me
in the same way the 156 does.

I've seen a decently priced 1 year old new-style 156 and I just wanted
to get any opinions on them. Are they any more reliable? Do they
still drink oil? By the way, I'm open to offers on the busted one - W
Reg, leather seats, telephone dial alloys. It's currently sitting in a
garage in Amersham; best offer so far is £1000.

Thanks
Stuart