Old May 31st 05, 05:23 AM
Busahaulic

**UP HERE** (Another damned top poster!)
With the quad CHT gauge it was really interesting to watch the differences
between the individual cylinders as they heated up. I got #3 to behave
pretty much the same as #1 by honing it to a looser piston fit. Before that,
#3 was always 50° warmer than #1. #2 & #4 were always a bit cooler than 1&3
until the engine was put under a hard load. The four CHT gauge needles would
fall into line and behave in perfect unison to the top of the hill, then
when the load was gone, they'd go back to doing their own thing.

WTH does this have to do with the thread? Nothing, I guess, but I'm gettin'
on in years and most any comment can trigger one of my stories! - BaH

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "ilambert" > wrote in message
> > The engine is going to warm up if you let it idle chokeless,drive
> > immeddiatly or let it come to tempbefore moving.I just have alway let

any
> > motor(car,boat,bike,tool)warm a bit before use.Mechanical karma I

guess.As
> > for manufacturors suggestions,remember these are the people that want to
> > sell you a new whatever,so if you choose to drive away with the choke
> > on,loading the motor while washing down the cylinders with raw gas,have

at
> > it.The wear on a cold motor will happen either way.A pre-luber is one
> > answer.

> pre luber only helps with "dry" starts...period...doesn't compensate for
> wear that happens when the engine isn't running within its designed
> parameters, as far as tollerances....such as when cold...th engine may
> eventually come up to temp at idle, but it sure won't be quick or
> even....let your aircooler run at idle and watch your guages....you can

see
> exactly *how* long it takes to come up to temp....had this discussion on
> thesamba awhile back.....my car idled in my driveway for twenty minutes

and
> the thermostat never opened more than halfway....can't see how you could
> even consider that "warmed up"...but to each his own...as far as driving
> away with the choke on and "washing" the cylinders it won't happen...if

you
> "load" the *engine* as you describe the choke opens up, as it is designed

> do....but as i have said to people before, don't take my word for

it....pop