Old November 14th 04, 12:43 PM

ray > wrote in message >...
> Hello.
>
> I guess my old Alfa is getting in trouble :
>
> when using the clutch pedal (the left one if the dictionnary was
> right...) it is loose for half the course and then works perfectly so i
> can change gear.
>
> the problem is that i assume something is wrong.
>
> could someone tell me if i must fill some oil somewhere in the car and
> where exactly if possible.
>
> thanx

Hi Ray,
It sounds like you have got air into the system, check the brake fluid
reservoir, to make sure it has enough fluid, if it has got too low you
could have pulled air into the when for instance, while cornering and
braking at the same time. Or,if you have pressed the pedal a couple of
times while standing on a hill.
It is not a big job to bleed brakes, and a good mechanic would do the
job in 1/2 an hour. Mind you if your fluid is low, you should check
why it is low. Check below the master cylinder for leaks, and the
slave cylinder, then check each caliper. These checks you could do
before handing the car to a garage, then they cannot say they have
changed parts that are OK.
John,UK.