Old August 29th 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rex B[_1_]

Default Reboring /sleeving 740 4.4 engine

Fred W wrote:
> Cords wrote:
>> I had unfortunate incident at a BMW dealership. Whilst sevicing My 1997
>> 740 4.4 litre the technician accidently dropped the screw top of the
>> spark plug into one bore. Needless to say on start up destroyed the
>> head and scored the cylinder. The dealership now wants to machine the
>> bore and put in a metal liner.
>> Is this possible on a aluminium alusil engine?
>> I would have thought the correct thing to do would be to replace the
>> block or the entire engine!
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated
>> Cords
>>

> No. You can't resleeve an engine that does not have sleeves.

Sure you can. It was routine back when Vegas roamed the earth.
Still is a big business when you need to reclaim an otherwise good block
that might not be replaceable. It is a common, weekly operation at any
automotive machine shop.

But even then they didn't sleeve just the one bad cylinder.