Old July 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Default Proper Radiator Cap Pressure Rating for 1994 Honda Accord EX?

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:14:15 -0700, jim beam
>> > wrote:

>>> hard to change the thermostat without changing the
>>> coolant.

>> Only if you do the job with the car upside down.
>>

> ok, let's be pedantic because you know i'm like that.

I don't know what I'd call you, except it's not "pedantic."
Let's just be honest.

One does not have to change the coolant on all Hondas after
a thermostat change.

Have a gallon of coolant (OEM or whatever is used in the
car) on hand, because one certainly will lose some.

> the elevation of the thermostat relative to the engine
> block is about 2/3rds the height of the whole. and of
> that, the head carries a significant quantity of the
> coolant. for the engine, i therefore estimate you'll lose
> roughly 1/2 its fill of coolant. for the radiator, i
> estimate roughly 1/3rd. hoses, maybe another 1/3rd. that
> makes roughly 40% of the coolant changes with a
> thermostat. that's a higher percentage than you can
> change on the automatic transmission.

That's the ball park.