Old July 22nd 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Default Proper Radiator Cap Pressure Rating for 1994 Honda Accord EX?

Gary Kaucher wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Gary Kaucher wrote:
>>> 1994 Honda Accord EX, 4 door
>>> 4 cylinder, Automatic Transmission
>>>
>>> I just recently replaced the Radiator fan motor, and now both my AC fan
>>> and Radiator fan seem to be capable of turning on and off. However,
>>> I don't think that they are turning on soon enough. With the recent hot
>>> weather here in PA, if I idle the car with the AC off, I've noticed that
>>> the temperature gauge needle will rise to just under the red zone (hot),
>>> and then both fans (AC and Radiator) will come on, cool things a
>>> little, turn off and then cycle on and off as they should, but at a
>>> generally
>>> higher temperature than I remember in the past. The radiator cap is

> rated at
>>> 13 psi. Is this the correct rating for the above vehicle? I am wondering

> if
>>> it
>>> may have been accidentally replaced last summer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>> before worrying about the cap pressure, consider the following:
>>
>> when was the thermostat last replaced?
>>
>> in what condition is the radiator? is it clogged/sludged? filled with
>> bugs?
>>
>> what level is the coolant? are you losing any? any bubbles in it?
>> [check inside the radiator, not just look at the expansion bottle.]

> The thermostat was replaced last summer. When I looked into the
> radiator recently I did not see anything particulary unsightly, but I
> suspect that it may have been six years and 50K since the antifreeze
> has been changed.

hard to change the thermostat without changing the coolant.

> I keep the coolant level between Cold and Hot, and
> I don't appear to be losing any. I thought that I saw bubbles once in the
> expansion bottle, so I fiddled with the radiator cap, and they seemed
> to go away.

hmm, that's suspect.

> I imagine that I could be due for some kind of radiator
> flush and antifreeze replacement. The antifreeze doesn't look too bad,
> but I suspect I've seen cleaner.

can't hurt.

> I called an auto parts place just to see what pressure rating was listed for
> my Honda Accord's radiator cap and they said 16 psi. Since the one that
> I have is 13 psi I wonder if it is the wrong radiator cap, and if it would
> make a
> significant difference in the ECT sensor's ability to turn the fans on at
> the correct
> temperature.

no, it won't affect that at all. a higher pressure cap just elevates
the boiling point a little.

> Or, is six year old antifreeze more likely to be a factor?

not unless it's really dirty. check the thermal switch and the fan
relays for operation. if the switch checks out ok, to eliminate the
head gasket as a suspect, have a chemical test done on the coolant to
see if there's exhaust gas in there. then look at the radiator again.
they fill up with bugs and all kinds of other debris that impairs
airflow significantly. if replacement is in order, i've had good
experience with these folks:

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...pe=A utomatic

i'd go plastic tank.