Old July 22nd 05, 05:48 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Amanda Robin" > wrote
> I will probably buy a BMW 3 series later this year. I have been doing my
> homework on the Internet and visited a dealer a couple of times.
> Exchanged some e-mails with the dealer in the next town over.
>
> I think I'm going to want an all-wheel-drive model. My question is, is
> it ever possible to order a car (not buy off the lot) and retain any
> ability to negotiate a good price? I'm pretty patient, but I doubt
> whether I will have many chances to find close to what I want on a lot.

Well, there are two or three things you need to know.
1) AFAIK, the new 3-series (E90) is currently not available with AWD,
although you may be able to get the previous model (E46) still.
2) You're probably not going to get much price movement on the
new model - from BMW or any other manufacturer for that matter.
If you do, look for a price about 1/2 way between MSRP and invoice;
usually $1000-$2000. Note that BMW dealers usually make their cut
on options; there is less room in the markup than other makes.
3) You can get deals on ordered cars - I did. I have one of the
very few 330xi's without a sunroof in the US; probably fewer than 100.
4) BMW does allow you to order options that aren't available in
the US brochure; like cloth seats, no sunroof (the E90 in the US
comes with it standard), etc. However, you have to find a dealer
who is willing to do the extra work...

Floyd