Old July 20th 05, 07:31 PM
Comboverfish

Sam Nickaby wrote:
> I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an accident. I'd
> posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I have all the seals and
> o-rings that I will install. The service manual requires that I use a power
> steering grease but the dealer does not know where to get this grease. What
> is a compatible grease I can use for the steering gearbox?
>
> Thanks

You can simply coat the seals with Honda P/S fluid - since that is what
they will see for the rest of their lives. Dunk them in a container of
P/S fluid immediately before installation to ensure they stay wet.

You could also use vaseline as an assembly lube; it will dissolve in
the P/S fluid and cause no problem.

Do you have the cone shaped installation tool to stretch the seals onto
the rack end pistons? If not, stretch the seals gently and evenly with
your fingers before *carefully* placing them over the piston.
Disregard if you have an aftermarket seal kit with scarf-cut seals.

Keep in mind that there is a way you can get the high and low pressure
pipes crossed on your Accord. It's not easy, but the same people who
can put in an 1157 bulb backwards can also manage this feat, so be
careful.

Toyota MDT in MO