Old May 24th 05, 11:02 PM
Jeff Strickland

You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.

0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my attention on
the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a big
leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is that your
cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside that is
failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a locking
gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while you
use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear the
code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't think it
will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college fund,
and buy a new locking gas cap.