Old December 30th 04, 07:49 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article <nFIAd.658181$D%.491734@attbi_s51>,
Brent P > wrote:
>In article >, Timothy J. Lee wrote:
>
>> The problem is that when a slow merger enters the freeway, those in
>> the right lane often have a choice between either slowing down,
>> changing lanes, or crashing (since the slow merger is already halfway
>> in the right lane).

>They usually aren't half way in the lane. I've held course and speed many
>times and never crashed. Sure there are times when one is forced to take
>action but they are few and far and between.

Then what do you do when a slow merger is entering at a speed to that
s/he will reach the merge point (and be forced to enter the right lane)
just at the point where you will be right behind him/her? Either you
slow down, change lanes, or rear end the slow merger in that case.
Or you can speed up to try to pass, but that can be problematical if
you are behind someone else at your minimum safe following distance, or
if the slow merger turns out to not be as slow as you thought.

Timothy J. Lee