Old August 27th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jon[_3_]

Default weird engine problems

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Okay so I bought this 1990 LX 2.3L mustang 2 days ago and it has a loud
> clacking sound, the owner said it was the lifters, and sounded like it
> to me. So i picked up the car, and today swapped the lifters. To my
> disapointment the noise was still exactly the same! The sound is
> comming from the rear off the motor, and it about half the engine RPM.
> It is pretty loud metal on metal banging sound. It is high pitched,
> which sounds like its not the bottom end, and it even sounds to be
> comming from just under the valve cover. When I let off the throttle
> cruiseing the noise quiets down a bit.
>
> While I was in their I also replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
>
> So please if anybody has any idea please let me know! I am really
> stumped and down wanna dump any more money into it for nothing. I also
> cleaned the engine out with intake cleaner, so I don't think it could
> be carbon.
>

> Thanks, Cory

This probably doesn't help but
If manual transmission, it could be the clutch thrust bearing, they ware out
about 80,000 miles or so.
noise goes away when clutch is out (no power to wheels)
It is high pitch sound had to replace two, 87 and a 93 both 5.0's