Old July 19th 05, 05:15 AM
Billy Ray

Bill,

The manufacturers lie about horsepower and torque ratings now just like
they did 'back in the day' as my daughters say, with the difference being
they used to claim significantly less power than the engines were actually
producing.

For example somewhere around 1970 one of the car magazines went around to
the Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge dealers and took standard 'demonstrators'
for a test ride to their local speed shop.

The Hemi engines rated at 425 hp by Chrysler all put out 500+ horsepower on
the dynos and the engines had not even been broken in.

Those weren't HP versions, they were the engines that our parents (the
current generations grand and great grand parents) had in their Imperials
and Furies, and Coronets...

And before we forget you could go to your local dealer and buy a NHRA
"Super Stock" Dodge or W30 Oldsmobile