Old December 2nd 04, 05:34 AM
Jim Levie

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:59:18 +0000, Bill wrote:

> If you bought a proper sports car, as opposed to a Schumacher 'wannabe'
> gearbox, then 1st gear and gear changes wouldn't be a problem.
>
> Why do people buy SMG gearboxes? Too lazy for a clutch pedal?

Have you driven a late model with SMG II? Not a 10 minute demo ride but
long enough to learn how to use it properly? I find them to be pretty
amazing beasties in full sport mode on twisty, challenging, roads.
Apparently the WRC drivers think so too and I haven't yet seen one of
those cars that didn't have a similar system. And those guys really flog
those cars through the stages.

> And why are you using it in auto mode you Muppet!

In stop and go traffic I think that SMG's auto mode makes a lot of sense.
Having driven manuals for years I'll take an SMG or BMW auto over a stick
when there's lots of city driving involved. It is just oh so much easier.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.