Old December 29th 04, 10:18 PM
Glen Cooper

Default 1988 Olds 88 3800V6 keeps blowing cam sensors, high HC, CO emissions

Hello gang. My mother has a 1988 model Olds Delta 88 with about 100,000
miles that is having a problem passing the emissions test for its yearly
state inspection. The car has the VIN#C 3800 engine. The test results we

(1) HC(PPM) Standard-152, (Current Reading-359 Fail High and Low RPM)
(2) CO% Standard-0.97, (Current Reading-9.87 Fail High and Low RPM)
(3) CO2% (Current Reading-8.3)
(4) NOx Passed Well at 80 PPM
(5) O2% is 0.4
(6) Dilution% Standard-Less Than 6, (Current Reading-18.2)
(7) Gas Cap Integrity Passed

After it failed she brought the car to me and I pulled the dipstick and
smelled strong gas in the oil and the computer had a hard code 41 (cam
sensor). I checked the following concerning the gas in the oil and code 41:

Fuel Filter
Fuel Pressure and Flow
Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphram For Leaks
Vapor Canister (Couldn't Tell Much Though)
Injector Leak Down Test
Cleaned Throttle Body and Tested the IAC
Checked the DIS ( All Six Firing Blue)
Changed Oil and Filter Twice
Changed Cam Sensor and Felt Magnet
Added Fuel Injector Cleaner and Drove A Few Days With 93 Octane Gas

Other things replaced in the past 6 months:
Plugs, Plug Wires, Coil Pack, Fuel Filter.

The second test result which I just saw didn't change. The tech said she
might try replacing the O2 Sensor which I just did. She insisted, you know
how mothers can be LOL. The SES light was on again, hard code 41.

Concerning the Code 41 (Cam Sensor), I have replaced the Cam Sensor three
times in the last 6 to 8 months. The SES light will stay out for a week or
so and come right back on and stay on until I replace the sensor again, then
it will do the same thing, last a week or so, and go bad again.

Could the code 41 be causing the high emissions and gas in the oil?
Could the ECM be blowing the Cam Sensor? This makes number 4 now.

I appreciate the help. The man said he'd test it one more time for free. I
have to leave for a while to make a car key, a few hours. This is making me
pull my hair out.

Oh, BTW, there isn't any noticable change in performance with the SES light
on or off. I don't see any smoke at the tail pipe. It accelerates fine,
scratching bald spot.

Thanks again.
Ed