Old January 14th 05, 08:23 PM
Jeff Strickland

You could have saved yourself $93.50 on the diagnosis, and found the misfire
on your own if you had a OBDII Code Reader and a list of codes. Here is the
list,
http://www.wattora.com/Mods/OBDII/

You can get the Code Reader on eBay, the nice ones run about 90 bucks, the
Really Nice ones run to about $150. This one repair would have covered the
cost of the reader, the next repair could be free.

Alternate Plan B, go down to your local auto parts store. They will let you
check out a code reader, sort of like how a library lets you check out a
book. You could do this diagnostic and repair at home for free. Well, you
would still have a parts cost, but I know for a fact that a gas cap doesn't
cost $17.

Sorry for the bad news.

PS
The 3M Complete Fuel System service is stuff in a can that they pour into
the gas tank.

"Brian Foster" > wrote in message
news
> Excellent guess. That happened the first week I owned the vehicle. This

time
> they said my gas cap was shot so I needed a new one.
> Gas cap $17.11
> Diagnosis & labor $93.50
>
> They also detected a "misfire" on the computer so they did a "3M Complete
> fuel system maintenance"
> $42.44 worth of parts $140 labor
>
> Throw in another $$17.70 for shop supplies and an EPA fee.
>
> $317.12
> No more engine lite and car is running better.
>
> They also wanted to rotate and balance my tires (I declined) and they

wanted
> to put new hood struts on (I also declined)
>
> This is a 5 star dealer that is owned by Pensky.
>

> "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> > You didn't take the time to screw the gas cap back on correctly.
> > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> > http://www.billhughes.com/
> >
> > Brian Foster wrote:
> >>
> >> Took it to the dealer today to have it checked out. Anyone care to

guess