Old November 20th 04, 05:04 PM
Net-Doctor

GBU:

Agree with Curly:First thing to do- Check torque on lugnuts, especially
if rims are alloy. First action to take when you notice any noises when
moving. Alloy rims are notorious for lugnuts loosening, especially after
having been recently removed and retightened. Symptoms of loose lugnuts may
be similar to bad wheel bearing noise: whines at highway speeds, gets worse
when negotiating a curve in one direction and quiets down when curving in
the other direction. Hard to localize wheel bearing noise; I just paid a
dealer to change the wrong one, and then had to pay again to have them
change the bad one.
To test for bad axles: look for split-open drive boots. If the boot has
split open, grease has been flung out and grit and water have gotten in.
Also, find a wide open space like a parking lot, turn the wheel sharply to
one side(without holding it tightly agains the stop on the steering wheel),
and (safely!)perform tight doughnut like circles in both forward and reverse
and listen for axle noise. If bad, it may click while turning.
My opinion regarding repair/replacement of boots: it's already too late
for the axle, and it's ultimately more cost-effective to leave it alone and
plan to change out the entire axle instead. You are going to pay a lot to
have boots replaced or axles rebuilt, and it may be more cost-efficient to
just have the axle replaced; especially since many after-market axles are
warranted for life of the car.
Doc

Disclaimer: Much of the information I pass on is speculation, based on my
experience with Honda transmissions. My experience includes 8 years building
and rebuilding Honda torque convertors, 6 years of
building/analyzing/rebuilding Honda automatic transmissions, and 10 years as
owner of Honda Accords(currently 5). Please use this information for
reference only.

oups.com...