Old July 9th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

Default EVAP control system leak

On 9 Jul 2006 07:59:27 -0700, wrote:

>I got a 98 Honda Accord. From more than a year ago, I spell gas around
>the gas tank whenever I finish driving and exit. Now the check engine
>light is on and I find the code to be 90. My Haynes manual says it's
>
>P1456 -- 90 -- EVAP control system leak near fuel tank
>P1457 -- 90 -- EVAP control system leak near canister
>
>I think it's the first one. The repair is probably beyond my capability
>for safety reason. The manual says "Fortunately, the evaporative
>control system, like all emission control systems, is protected by a
>Federally-mandated warranty". Does that mean I can get it fixed for
>free?

It highly doubtful! There was a campaign on '96 and '97 models which
extended the emissions warranty to 14 years, 140,000 miles. That
campaign does NOT apply to your '98 model and the warranty is surely
expired.

> If not, how much would it be approximately?

No way to tell until its diagnosed.

> BTW, I passed
>inspection in April

What are the inspections standards in your area?

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

> so I think the gas cap is (or was) good.

You might try a new gas cap.