Old January 17th 05, 01:13 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

You can get 1replacements in various envelope sizes/LED counts at truck
stops and some auto-parts stores. They come in various colors, and
sometimes a colored LED appears clear when turned off, so examine the
label carefully to make sure you're buying the right thing.

Some of them carry fine print that says they aren't Department of
Transportation approved, for what that's worth (guess it depends on how
nitpicking a cop or a safety inspector feels). This may be different
for the replacement bulbs than for whole sealed units in standard truck
sizes and shapes -- *those* seem to be just taking over the world
lately, probably because of greater reliability. Maybe Daniel Stern
can comment more on these matters.

Prices seem to be coming down some but are still in the range of $6 a
bulb, and if memory serves a '64 Chrysler has a fair number of bulbs,
so this isn't going to be a cheap exercise. I'm thinking about buying
one for my retrofitted center high-mount stop lamp, so that I (or, more
to the point, people behind me) can get the benefit of its very fast
risetime without the three-figure price tag of re-lamping a whole '66
Thunderbird with them.

If memory serves, the difference in current draw is in your favor not
as great as you might intuitively expect.

--Joe