Old June 23rd 04, 05:16 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:20:14 -0400, saabturbo wrote:

> While driving - usually on the highway - a 93 Dodge Caravan just seems to
> intermittently slip out of gear into neutral (or maybe 1st gear?) - more
> likely to happen on the highway or when driving at an even speed. If you
> turn the ignition off and then restart the car it is back to normal, but it
> will not correct itself until you restart the car. The tranny was replaced
> with a rebuilt unit 30,000 miles ago. It has been back to the transmission
> shop (and a good one in the area) and they replaced (for free, believe it or
> not) the solenoid pack, and now the PRNDL switch. The thing still does it.
> They say it is an electrical problem and are out of ideas. They told us our
> next step would be to go to a dealer who may replace the entire electrical
> system to repair. Not an attractive option to say the least. Does anyone
> have any ideas or things to check?
>
> Thank you in advance!

By "replace the entire electrical system", could they have meant
"reprogram the transmission control module"? That might be all you need.
A lot of issues arise that are cured by a simple reprogram.

However, you might also want to make damned sure the right transmission
fluid is being used. I don't think this is the cause of the problem,
considering a power cycle "fixes" it temporarily, but any time you get the
transmission serviced by a less-than-preferable shop, there's a chance
they'll slip the wrong juice in there, so you want to be sure they didn't
screw you in another way.

HIH, AIW

CJ

--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT