Old April 4th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

On 2006-04-03, none2u > wrote:
> breakage due to fatigue. There is a plate between the spring and the upper
> bearing, called the upper spring mount. If you use the older spring, you
> must use the older spring mount to seat the spring. If you use the newer
> spring, then you get a new upper spring mount to match the new spring. The

OK. This makes sense. If I'm using the newer spring (and the spring
I'm replacing is also the newer spring) can I reuse the upper spring
mount from that which I'm replacing? More simply put, do I need to
use brand new upper spring mounts every time I replace springs/struts?

> are not different and will work, on either spring style. Also Rabbits
> ,Sciroccos, Jettas 75-84 have external threads on the strut casing. Internal
> threads are used on USA Rabbits 79-83. But many have been converted. If you

I'm a little confused here. So a USA '84 would be EXTERNAL?

> do change the struts. You must get the ones for internal, or external
> threads, which ever you have. Remember to put gear lube or engine oil in the
> casing, so the strut will be removable next time and not rusted in. I use
> old engine or gear lube for this. Make sure it squeezes out when you insert
> the new strut so it fills the whole space. I once disassembled the front

Thanks for this tip. I think I'm probably going to buy new housings,
mine are rusted pretty thoroughly. I can't be sure, as I don't know
the full history of this rabbit, but my hunch is that the
struts/springs, have never been replaced. They are in bad shape.

Thank you everybody for your help!
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email