Old February 5th 05, 09:57 AM
P.J.Berg

David Gravereaux wrote:

> P.J.Berg wrote:
>> David Gravereaux wrote:
>>
>> P.J.Berg wrote:
>>

>>> So are you one of the lucky few?? )
>>> To own one that is..

>> Me? Yes, serial #2004007, Jake's 2270cc "C" version installed in my
>> '73 Super Beetle.
>>
>> --
>> David Gravereaux >
>> [species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha
>> sector]
>>

>> Exellent!

>> Are you happy with the outcome vs. price?

> I'm very happy with the results. The price.. baaa.. I look at
> results. I saved, afforded it, bought it, and have it.
>
>> Does it pull like you expected? What sort of tranny/axel setup are
>> you running? No problems with cv's yet?

> It has a *whole* lotta pull. Only 2K miles on the engine so far and
> put 1K of that over the last couple weeks. Keeping the frame horns
> in their place is the prep work one needs to do. CVs are doing fine.
> A friend compared my acceleration in fourth is nearly like his in
> third.
>
> Tranny is Jake's "B" transaxle setup with gearing specific for my tire
> size and the output of the engine. IOW, a matched set. And it is
> matched. Power output is from 2K up to 6.5K and it's all smooth is
> very wide. At first, it was odd getting used to nothing below 2K.
> This
> engine doesn't lug at all. I just had to shift my behavior and let
> the engine spin because that's where it loves it. The bark from the
> webers
> is music and loader than my exhaust
>
> The car effortlessly goes to 100mph. I fear going faster without
> dropping the front and adding a spoiler as the steering gets looser
> the faster I go (even with 120lbs of sandbags in the bonnet). From
> what I hear, bugs have an aerodynamic brick wall @ 117mph without the
> use of a whale tail. But I'll keep that silly behavior on a track,
> not the streets.
>
> I want to keep it a sleeper, though, and might not ever add the
> spoiler, skirts, front drop kit and tail.
>
> hmm.. I'll probably drop the front a couple inches though..
>
> My main effort right now is getting the handling better. When I drop
> hammer the car pulls to the left a bit, and when I let off it pulls to
> the right, so either my rear toe is off or the spring plate bushings
> are mushy. And I know for a fact my right stub axle is bent which I
> need to swap soon as it's causing a shake on the highway.
>
>> Sorrrry about all the questions and lack of personal content, about
>> to crash here after a "Friday out"

>> Take care.

>> Jørn.

> - --
> David Gravereaux >
> [species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha
> sector]

Sounds like fun.
For handeling a Beetle should always be 1 to 2 inches taller at the front,
critical stability is reached at aprox 175 kp/h, a small lip at top of the
roof just above the rear window breaks the lift, no need for hideous whale
tails..

There is an Australian guy who does hillclimbing in a beetle who has posted
all his specks(Camber, caster and Ackermann etc...), cant think of the addy
now, but try a google for beetle and hillclimb.

: