Old April 21st 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1997 Passat stubles and whines

There is no timing belt on a VR6!

However since you mentioned non-fuel related problems I will mention
that a common problem with the VR6 is the coil pack. The coil pack can
crack and this causes misfiring when the engine is cold and wet... or
hot and very wet. The symptoms the OP described do not exactly match a
bad coil pack.