Old March 11th 05, 05:04 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> >*Full-time steady burning of the front turn signals alone

> I'm sure you are correct, but my first thought was "you're kidding!" Is
> there an example of a car in production that does this?

Su

Several Saturns including the Ion
Most current-production Cadillacs
The last Buick Century
The last Olds Intrigue
The current Chev/GMC full-size vans
'96-'00 Chrysler minivans (in Canada)
The '97-up GM minivans (Chev Venture, Pontiac Montana, Olds Silhouette,
Saturn Relay, Buick Terrazza)
The current Chevrolet Malibu
Several current Toyotas (at least in Canada).

> One amp non-focused yellow lights in bright sunlight seems useless to
> me. Please tell me what I'm missing!

Well, you're missing a few things, most notably that light is not measured
in amps. it's measured in candela, candlepower, lux or lumens. There is no
such thing as "an amp of light". That's because different ways of making
light have different levels of efficiency. Except for the fact that
they're amber and therefore introduce ambiguity into the front signal
system, turn signal DRLs are dandy. They produce just about the perfect
amount of light, distributed through just about perfect horizontal and
vertical angles, for an effective daytime running light without glare.

Now if only they were white (or some color other than amber), they *would*
be just about perfect.

DS