Old March 9th 05, 08:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, John Gregory wrote:

> There seems to be a difference of opinion concerning the transmission fluid
> here. The service manual - based upon my driving habits - claims no change
> is necessary.

The manual has claimed "No fluid change is necessary" for decades now. It
was OK to follow this suggestion in the days of the overengineered,
bulletproof Torqueflite transmissions. With the electronic transmissions,
it's difficult to change the fluid often enough.

> I can understand the position one might take if they have changed fluid
> over the years with no incidence of trans failure. However, that fact
> alone - particularly in view of recommendation from the manufacture NOT
> to change - doesn't serve as proof that changing fluid prevents failure.
> The same results may have occurred without the changes.

How lucky do you feel? Are you comfortable gambling the $2500 (plus or
minus) repair cost on this academic bit of sophistry?

> Q3) How do I get ALL the fluid out of the system if I drain it myself,
> check the magnet, and replace the filter?

You don't, if that's the procedure you use. But that's OK, 'cause you
don't have to. The idea is fluid replenishment.

> Q4) Do I need any "special" tools for any part of the job? (I don't think
> I did for the '95 Concorde I had)

No.

> Q5) How much would be left in the system if I simply dropped the pan and
> drained?

Don't worry about it, see Q3.