Old September 12th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lignum

Default Aud A4 tdi turbo 51 plate. lose of vacuum

"tenmen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Lignum wrote:
>
>> "tenmen" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I have just had the turbo repaired but the reason for it going in the
>> > first place was that the vacuum was not working. The garage that is
>> > repairing it can not find the problem
>> >

>> Are you referring to the brake vacuum system, or do you mean something
>> else?

> its the engine vacuum system that operates the engine turbo

I'm sorry but you've lost me there. The prime mover for the turbo is the
engine exhaust gases which spin a rotor and compress air by means of vanes
connected to the same shaft as the power turbine. In my basic knowledge of
these turbo systems there is also a dump valve which allows excessive
pressurised air to escape - but no vacuum. In fact there is such a shortage
of vacuum associated with a diesel engine that a vacuum pump has to be
installed, often driven from the engine camshaft, to provide vacuum for the
braking system - as already stated by Mr Bartam.

Diesels and vacuum are anathema and do not exist in the same universe.

Perhaps an explanation of the symptoms you originally experienced may help?