Old August 19th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Default Thermostat Question 160 deg. or 195 deg.?

Kevin proclaimed:

> Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a 160 deg. thermostat
> versus a 195 deg. thermostat? I have a lot of knock and ping that I
> suspect is due to excessive temps in the combustion chamber since my
> timing seems dead on. The temp gauge fluctuates between 190 and 210
> deg. depending on how fast I'm traveling. Also the clerk said the smog
> police would fail me if they saw I was running a cooler thermostat. Do
> they care what temp my car runs at? If it matters I have a 1987
> Wrangler YJ 258 ci Carter BBD, 5 speed manual. Any input is
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Kevin

If you live in a strict smog state, running a cooler thermostat does
tend to make it harder to pass.

What do you mean by a lot of knock and ping?

Moderate accel or steady state?

Normal range IS 190 to 210 and the engine works better at that range.

I've had mild ping with regular from Chevron, most others seem to work.
Midgrade or a shot of premium cures it.