Old July 19th 05, 04:07 AM
TeGGeR®

"chibitul" > wrote in
oups.com:

> no, I wanted to *cause* an error code... if I pull the plug, the
> cylinder does not fire, so it should generate an error code, I would
> think
>
> just trying to understand what the OBD-II does. thanks.

If I remember correctly, the MIL will illuminate if the ECM determines that
the engine has exceeded Federal emissions limits by 150% on at least TWO
consecutive "drive cycles".

You'd need to pull the plug, let it misfire fifteen seconds or so, plug it
back in and drive the car to full-warm. Then shut it off and let it cool
completely (overnight is good), then repeat the whole thing the next day.

That ought to set the MIL. But 15 seconds misfire may not be enough (about
188 revs at 750rpm), and leaving the plug off for longer risks damaging
your coil.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ