Old February 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Jeff Strickland

Back in the olden days, the flasher was a simple RC network, resistor
capacitor, that charged and discharged to control the blink rate. The
resistor was the filiment in the lamps. You are taking the resistor out of
the circuit, assuming the circuit is still an RC network. You can simply
splice a resistor in line that mimics the resistance of the lamp filiment,
and the flasher will never know that it is powering an LED array.

I would use a 1/4 watt, 470 ohm resistor, or there abouts. Practice with a
couple, or just measure the resistance of a brake lamp bulb, then get a
resistor that is within about 10% of that value, and can handle relatively
hight current. You don't really need the current capability, but this will
provide overheat protection if the brake lights are on for a very long time.
You'll need a resistor on both the left and the right side.

The Turn Signals and the Brake Lamps are the same part of the lamp/LED
assembly, and the Running Lamps are a different part. Be sure to add the
resistor to the turn signal/brake lamp side of the assembly.