Old December 19th 04, 07:22 PM
Dan

Advertised redlines aren't an appropriate measure since those are based
on a combination of crankshaft, piston, and rod material, stroke/bore
ratio, piston speed/acceleration, head/valvetrain design, actual
head/cam flow capacity, desired mileage, and reliability factors. My
guess is that the new Mustang GT redline is limited by its cast crank,
pistons, and rods more than anything. In the end, all else equal and
with the bottom end to support it, because there is less mass in the
valvetrain to overcome, an OHC design will out rev an otherwise
equivalent OHV design.

I am curious to find out the capabilities of the new heads and cams
with a better bottom end. The 32 valve Modular (Cobra) can hit 7500
rpms reliably on the stock valvetrain. The oil pump is the weak link
but the crank is forged and the top end is enough to get there. With
some work it'll hit 9000 rpms. The SOHC has similar redline
capabilities with the appropriate build down low but the heads can't
keep up. I don't know what VVT has done to the valvetrain that might
limit this and I don't know the details of the rest of the cam drive so
it'll be interesting to see what it can do, but it should be close with
some effort.

As to whether or not Ford can or cannot do modern engines, that's a
pretty specious comment. Every domestic manufacturer has produced both
OHV and OHC designs that were "modern" and successful. Ford's Modular
32 valve is used in some of the highest performance arenas in the world
and it does well. And since Ford is not abandoning the Modular family
this "Hurricane" is simply a different engineering approach for some
set of goals or needs that Ford perceives. We'll have to learn more to
figure out what they are thinking.
..
Dan
2003 Cobra convertible