Old May 13th 05, 01:42 AM
Harry K

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Harry K" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>

> > John David Galt wrote:

they
> > were,

> > don't we

they
> > can
> >>
> >> There are perfectly good tactics for stopping a suspect like that
> >> which don't endanger bystanders nearly as much. The obvious one

here
> >> would be to surround him with cop vehicles, which then gradually

> > stop.
> >> Maybe a few parked cars get crunched in the process, but nobody

gets
> >> shot.
> >>
> >> What a bunch of Barney Fifes.

> > Unfortunately, forcing a vehicle to stop by use of barricades has

been
> > ruled 'deadly force' by the courts.

> Do you have a cite for this?
>
> > The cops have to always leave an
> > out when setting up barricades to stop a speeding car.

> Why? Maybe to let others depart the stop zone before the suspect

arrives?

> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

Nope, no cite. I was curious having seen it somewhere and also having
heard it being applied while listening to the scanner. Asked the
question in a BS session with county deputies. They confirmed that
yes, the (IIRC) supreme court ruled that a total road block is use of
deadly force. I certainly don't agree with it. Looks to me like a
fleeing subject crashing into a clearly visible roadblock is only
committing suicide by cop.

Harry K